The earliest records for the walled garden are in 1925 when Sir Edwin Lutyens remodelled the Victorian terrace, adding the vertical slate surface, slate capped wall and troughs of Agapanthus at each end. However, the footprint of the garden is visable on the 1834 Tithe map and is assumed to be contemporary with the 1710 house.
There are no records of plantings from this time, but in 1980 borders were still mainly planted with showy plants for maximum impact in August when the house was filled with guests. Gradually, the planting has focused on earlier flowering, pollinator friendly plants, starting in May with masses of aquilegia, followed by camassia, irises, alliums, towering echiums, eryngiums, nepeta, salvias, hebes, and many more, with flowering continuing through September.
The walled gardens have provided a wonderful backdrop for village fetes, outdoor concerts and other events over the years. Please do contact us email@example.com for more information.
Flete Estate Office
Telephone: 01752 830234